We’ve all been there! You are looking at a certain highly important memo when all of a sudden, you hit the wrong key and the memo is gone. Or you find your child actively messing with your phone and when you finally get your hands on your device, the voice memo is gone. It can also occur that you just lose some voice memos after updating to iOS 11. Don’t worry! This actually happens to a lot of people and there is a way to remedy the situation. We can do nothing about your future clumsiness, the curiosity of your child or some kind of unknown reason but we can do something about getting your voice memo back. Keep reading to find out how you can get the accidentally deleted voice memo back.
Can I Actually Recover Deleted Voice Memos from My iPhone?
Simply put, YES – you can recover your deleted voice memos from your iPhone. However, it really depends on the specific situation.
Let’s get complicated for a second: iOS devices use a database storage system known as SQLite so whenever you delete something from your iPhone, it isn’t actually deleted and can still be recovered through this database system. In simpler terms, before you delete data it is stored as “Allocated” data and when you delete it, the storage slot is changed from “Allocated” to “Unallocated”. What most people don’t realize is that unallocated data can’t be viewed although can be recovered. You just have to use the right piece of software for this job.
An important fact that you need to notice is that if you continue to use your iPhone after deleting voice memos, you are risking overwriting the data. This means that it can’t be recovered, and your voice memos will be gone forever.
- There are a few things you should do the moment you discover that you have lost your voice memos. If you had set it up such that the data on your device is backed up automatically, you may want to check iTunes or iCloud backup files. If the voice memo is there, then you’re lucky since all you have to do is restore the iPhone to the backup and your voice memos will be back.
- If on the other hand you had yet to back up the iPhone, then you need to stop using the device for the moment. This is because using the device may overwrite the missing voice memo, making it rather difficult to recover in the method we shall show you shortly.
- If your iPhone has been completely disabled or broken, you won’t be able to recover the deleted voice memos directly from your device. Rather, you must use a third-party tool to extract the voice memos from an iCloud or iTunes backup and restore them afterwards.
- Last but not the least, it’s not possible for an original voice memo to be recovered after you have edited and trimmed it. This is because it hasn’t been deleted but instead, it has been modified and the original one has been totally overwritten.
Recover Deleted Voice Memo Using iPhone Data Recovery Tool
One of the easiest ways to recover the missing voice memo on your iPhone especially if you don’t have a backup is to make use of a data recovery program. The program we recommend is iMyFone D-Back iPhone data recovery Win or iPhone data recovery Mac version simply because it is designed for that purpose. Some of the features that make iMyFone D-Back your best option are:
- It supports all iOS versions including the latest iOS 11.
- You can use it recover deleted memos or other type of data regardless of the circumstances leading up to data loss. You even get chance to recover data from a damaged device.
- Supports 22 + file types of iOS content, such as photos, text messages, notes, voice memos, contacts, messages from WhatsApp, Kik, WeChat, etc.
- Four different recovery modes make finding and recovering data very easy: Smart Recovery, Recovery without backup, or from iTunes or iCloud backup.
- The program also comes with a preview function that allows you to make sure you are actually recovering the data you want to recover but also allows you to selectively recover data.
- Even with its numerous features, it remains easy to use and 100% safe to download and use. None of the data on your device will be at risk.
Please note that you can choose to recover the memo directly from your device if you hadn’t backed up your device or you can choose to recover from an iTunes or iCloud backup without having to reset the entire device. In this guide we will describe all three methods, choose the one that best suits your situation.
(1) Recover Accidentally Deleted Voice Memo without Backup (iOS 11 Supported)
Step 1: Download iMyFone D-Back from iMyFone official download center to your computer and then launch the program. From the primary window, click on “Recover from iOS Device” and then click on “Start”.
Step 2: You will be required to choose the type of data you want to recover (in this case, choose “Voice Memo” under “Memo & Others”).
Step 3: Connect the device to the computer using USB cables and once the program detects the iPhone, click on “Scan”.
Step 4: When the scan is complete, preview the recovered data and select the missing voice memo. Click “Recover” and select a file path in the pop-up that appears.
(2) Recover Accidentally Deleted Voice Memo from iTunes Backup Files
If you have the memo backed up in one of your iTunes backup files, follow this simple guide to recover it.
Step 1: From the main window, select “Recover from iTunes Backup” and then click on “Start”.
Step 2: Select “Voice Memo” as the file type you would like to recover.
Step 3: Select the iTunes backup file that likely contains the missing voice memo and then click “Scan”.
Step 4: Once the scanning process is complete (be patient, it could take a while), browse the recovered data to select the missing memo and then click “Recover”.
(3) Recover Accidentally Deleted Voice Memo from iCloud Backup Files
If your voice memo is in an iCloud backup file, follow this simple guide to get it back without having to restore the device completely.
Step 1: From the main window, click on “Recover from iCloud Backup” and then click on “Start”.
Step 2: Select “Voice memo” since this is the file type we want to recover.
Step 3: The next step is to sign in to your iCloud account. Enter your log in information to do so.
Step 4: The program will detect all of the iCloud backup files on that account. Click on the one that may contain the memo and then click “Next” to download the file.
Step 5: Wait the download and scanning process to be completed. Select the missing memo and then click “Recover”.